Saturday, September 6, 2008

Speaking through Water: the texts



Isn't it interesting how memory works . . . I managed to get a hold of Nathalie Latham via e-mail and she very kindly gave me permission to post the text from her show, Speaking Through Water (what I erroneously called Talking Through Water in my review two posts ago -- so sorry, Nathalie!)

Below is her intro and the thoughts people wrote on their papers:

s p e a k i n g t h r o u g h w a t e r

A year to the day after my father’s death, I had a dream where I was shouting and I couldn’t be heard. I had not been allowed to speak at his funeral and, in the dream, had the sensation of speaking through water, explaining why I felt it important to participate in this sacred ritual. No-one could hear me.

In turn, I asked others around me to write a sentence/ thought they they felt had gone unheard. As I was in Beijing at the time, I assumed their concerns would have political content but instead they were like mine : emotional, personal and universal.



TRANSLATIONS in no particular order:

Only do what you can do. Don’t do what you want to do.

At the beginning I gave you love. Now you don’t pay any attention to me. I’m hurt !

At the beginning, someone I liked, now she has already become someone else’s girlfriend. I’m hurt.

I hope my elder brother’s dreams come true.

Mama, please don’t miss your son !

Mama, I love you.

Beijing you have already vanished.

I want to be a full-time housewife for you. We will have two daughters. This will be when I am 35 years old.

Mom and Dad : I will never let you down. I love you !

I want to get into a famous university and earn glory for my parents.

In my horoscope I found out I am star-crossed. I am depressed with my fate. There is no way it could be me… if only this were not true. Hovering around in ruins.

I love my elder sister

I am at a loss. Winter is coming again.

My daughter is extremely cute. But I don’t have much time to take care of her.

No comments: