Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Liz's Salad Recipe

It occurs to me that since I have converted even the most die hard meat eaters into salad lovers, the least I can do is share my recipe. Also, I shudder to think of all my friends who are going without while I'm away. So, here it is. Share it far and wide.

Ingredients
  • Romain or mixed greens, but NEVER ice burg lettuce (not even fit to be called lettuce)
  • Sometimes I add fresh cilantro but only do it if you love cilantro; it's a love or hate taste
then add any of these in any combination, all cut to bite size:
  • tomatoes
  • cucumber
  • fresh or roasted red pepper
  • pears or mangoes or peaches or nectarines or strawberries or apples
  • avocado, if in season
  • feta cheese (I like it so I crumble a lot in)
  • walnuts or pecans and/or pumpkin seeds (really, any nut or seed you like)
meat options:
  • Chicken marinade #1 - Thai inspired:
    • fish sauce (3 tbsp approx for 2 breasts cut up into bite-sized pieces)
    • balsamic vinegar (again, approx 3 tbsp)
    • olive oil (1-2 tbsp)
    • fresh squeezed lime
    • red thai curry paste for heat (I dunno, maybe 2 tsp? Or one tbsp? I like it hot)
    • maple syrup. Same amount as paste? Test it. Marinade should be salty, sweet and hot
  • Chicken marinade #2 -- Tex Mex inspired
    • juice of fresh lemon
    • olive oil (1-2 tbsp)
    • balsamic vinegar (again, approx 3 tbsp)
    • ground cumin (2-4 tsp)
    • chili powder (2-4 tsp)
    • salt
  • Pork or beef: same as above
Marinade for an hour if you can. Then sauté and put aside.

Assembling the salad

First, wash the greens well to get rid of any grit.

Dressing and assembling the salad are key to the success of this recipe (along with everything else, of course). First you put all your greens in the bowl and dress by squeezing half a lemon over them, a drizzle of olive oil (a capful even for a large salad) and some balsamic vinegar and salt. Salt is key. Mixed up greens. Then add the veggies on top, then the fruit. squeeze more lemon and add salt to that layer, too. Then add the meat, then the feta, then the nuts. I really am very liberal with the feta and nuts.

DO NOT MIX TOGETHER. To serve, you just dig down. If you mix, everything falls the bottom. (OK, you are all adults, mix if you must, but I will know and will suffer!)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Author said...

Hi Liz - Your salad recipe is quite similar to mine but your understanding of the construction is much better. I don't use meat, no red peppers or feta (2IC doesn't like it), and I use mixed nuts. If blackberries are in season I like those too. Actually according to Chinese medicine I shouldn't even be eating salads - but that's another story!