Sunday, November 2, 2008

In Praise of Sadness



I have blog guilt.

For almost two weeks I have avoided writing a new post because I felt I had nothing to offer that was not going to be tinged with sadness. This concern came after a conversation with a dear friend who, looking out for my best interests, suggested I remove all references to depression in my blog. She advised the same thing for future dates -- do not talk about my struggles with depression. For a brief moment, I could see her point.



But when I thought about it more (which I have done obsessively since the conversation two weeks ago), if I had followed her advice when choosing a partner, I would have missed some of the most interesting men I’ve ever loved.

But the other thing is, my blog's purpose is not to lure dates. And, more importantly, if I am a depressive (I still prefer the German “melancholia” for describing my particular bent vs. depression, which is essentially pathologized sadness vs. melancholia, which is poetic sadness), then shouldn’t I pitch myself as I am when I am on dates? I mean, otherwise I’m basically false advertising, and at some point, when my peppy cover-up cracks, which it will, my poor date-guy will get the real me and won’t he feel duped? “Wait a minute! I thought you were a happy person!”




Besides, advising me not to be sad is like telling a dog not to shit.

I am not sad all the time, of course. That would be exhausting. But I am sad probably as much as I'm happy. And anyway, what’s wrong with sadness? Why would I try to live on only one end of the spectrum all the time? When I began writing this, I was listening to Simon and Garfunkle’s Bridge over Troubled Water – music of my childhood: my father’s music. And it suddenly hit me that I was already sad as a child, and that’s because I was carrying my father’s (and mother’s) sadness, especially when listening to his music. It was also a sadness belonging the songs themselves. In other words, there was an abundance of sadness to tap into, so it’s what I cut my teeth on. But also . . . hello . . . sadness exists! And since it does, why not welcome it? Befriend it? Express it?


And that’s why David Kramer’s blog (http://toothlessalcoholic.blogspot.com/) came as a huge relief. My friend, Ann, directed me to it. In his blog – the Toothless Alcoholic – David Kramer (he’s one of those guys whose names cannot be divided: he’s not David or Kramer; he’s DavidKramer), openly, and with well-honed self-deprecating humour (the man’s a Jew so he can’t help it), he writes about his love for, and struggles with, alcohol, greasy food, his weight, his art career and his deep fear of a Republican win on Tuesday. David Kramer is fucking funny. And also sad. But good sad. The kind of sad my friend, Ann, coined when her son was a baby and he would go from laughing to crying to laughing in the space of 10 seconds – happy-sad. It’s kind of like good-evil. Or sexy-ugly.

Anyway, like DavidKramer, I like to face life's challenges head on. And take responsibility for my feelings. Kind of like I'm saying, "you want to throw pie at me? Well, I can do you better, I’ll take your damn pie . . . "



... tape it to my face . . .


... and then squish it around! Yum!"

My artist friend, Sara, paid my sadness touching homage. For my 40th birthday, she made me a shadow box entitled Waiting for Rain. That's me . . .

I have never felt more seen and appreciated for who I am.

I know that there is no formula for feeling safe in this world. Perhaps my friend who advised me to hide my depression feels more safe when she does not risk exposure that could lead to rejection. But for me, exposure happens to make me feel more safe than hiding because then I feel the person who has seen all of me and still loves me must really love me and not some fantasy or facsimile of me.

It seems to me, the whole point of doing this . . .


. . . . is to be able to do this!




As my friend, Jacline, used to say, by this age, we've all got baggage. And, frankly, that's the stuff I find intriguing. Besides, I feel as if I've done it all in terms of addressing my sadness, including pretzelizing and filtering myself silly in order to attract unconditional love, and not just the love of lovers, but my mother’s love, the love of certain friends, and so on. And the only thing that ever makes me feel lovable is wearing myself not only on my sleeve but on every last shred of my being.


And, finally, one last thought: how can you hope to be unconditionally loved when you do not love yourself unconditionally?

(The paintings with text are David Kramer's -- one of my favourite artists.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz - thank you for sharing this. My initial thought when I saw the URL was to send you an immediate email (before reading your blog) telling you to try SAMe or St John's Wort. I'm always trying to fix you. This blog makes me love you even more. And you are right - tell it like it is and give the adults in the room chance to act that way. By the way - I still say we all have baggage. Even if I buy new fancy bags, my old ones seem to linger... I like them all.
Love you -Jacline

david kramer said...

LIZ- Thanks for the comments.
I always say that being depressed and being happy both seem to take a lot of effort. So I try to be happy. That is why I find so much humor in what is otherwise so fucked up.

I really appreciate your kind words here.
David Kramer

Philip Stern said...

Hi Liz,
Wow.

Inside me, depression feels like the future has accordioned into a single flat canvas. Unable to handle the infinite challenges, many of which I judge to be occasioned by my own foolish hands, I am cannot account for my past without seeeing the future as continuing cycle of failure or impotence, an endlessly repeating humiliation. As I write, I think of the eternal return that Garcia-Marquez adduces in The Unbearable Lightness of Being, the tone and everything.

Thanks for a moving and searching post.
Philip
www.homelessmanspeaks.com

Krëg said...

Cool post.

Anonymous said...

Although I hate to think of you feeling sad as often as you feel happy, I don't think it's so unusual; it's brave to break the taboo about addressing the power, and the ubiquity, of sadness. One of the things I loved about Berlin was people's readyness to revel in feeling....bleaurgh. Why not? Sure the sun's out and the canal is beautiful but the ozone layer is almost gone and the canal's full of litter, chemicals and rats. Whaddya gonna do, walk around in denial? Serotonin doesn't lie; the world has gone in some badly wrong directions and being perky and whistling a happy tune all the time is sometimes just...not the natural, animal response. I love people who are very alive and alert but also not an a state of shiny-happy denial. Sometimes a tear, shed in the right company or honoured the right way, is as satisfying and illuminating as a whoop of joy. Happiness has a dark lining...though let's not forget the opposite, and equally true, cliche. Both are human so go ahead and express your humanity sad, lovely girl.
xx
a